Founded in 1870 by William McDowell the ‘Happy Ring House’ originally was in Mary Street and moved to No 3 Sackville Street in 1902 making it the longest established business on what is now called O’Connell Street Dublin.
Completely destroyed and looted during the 1916 uprising No 3 was rebuilt in 1917 using some of the original girders for the General Post Office. During the height of the conflict centred around the GPO, William McDowell and the porter made a dash from the premises to Cathedral Street a distance of some fifty yards and in that distance William was shot in the leg and sadly the porter was shot dead.
The Happy Ring House has a long standing tradition in Dublin, that you meet your intended by the pillar and then proceeded to the ‘Happy Ring House’ to buy that special diamond ring followed by a celebratory drink in the Gresham or tea in Wynns Hotel.
In 2020, Weir & Sons Jewellers acquired McDowells Jewellers and continue the ‘Happy Ring House’ legacy with Nicola McDowell Grandniece of Jack McDowell still involved in the everyday running of the store. It is a very exciting time for the business with the introduction of some new brands to the store and welcoming back some much-loved familiar brands along with our largest ever selection of engagement rings to view at our first-floor dedicated diamond ring room that overlooks O’Connell street boulevard at tree level along with a magical view of Dublin's GPO. With a planned expansion of a new watch store destination next door at number 4 which will almost double the retail space.
Coming soon, a new transactional website allowing people all over the world to purchase a sentimental gift from the iconic McDowells for a loved one near or far. O’Connell Street is set to be restored to its former status of one of the great streets in Ireland and a destination for shopping and tourist attractions. This historic street will come alive again with the rejuvenation of the new Clery’s Quarter and the Hammerson development, Chris Andrews MD “McDowells Jewellers are pleased to be part of the future of O’Connell Street rejuvenation and these significant developments in Dublin city we are committed to bringing a luxury watch and jewellery destination to Dublin’s O’Connell Street “.